Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Two videos, totally unrelated

The first one was made by my daughter in opposition to offshore oil development in the Arctic.


I am really proud of her. That's my granddaughter on the image above (and later on in the film, my grandson appears, as well.) This touched my heart.  I hope it touches yours, too.

The other one is Neil Gaiman's graduation address to the University of the Arts. The Christian Science Monitor calls Gaiman, "one of this year's best commencement speakers." Well worth a listen. The two takeaways for me:

  1. Regardless of what life gives you or doesn't give you, make good art.
  2. Be wise and if you can't be wise, pretend to be a wise person and do what they would do.
These both work for me on this spring day in the arctic.

And speaking of graduates, I wanted to share a picture of our oldest high school graduate, from this year's graduation ceremony at Nunamiut School in Anaktuvuk Pass.

At 77 years old, with the help of teacher Inge Lisa Jensen, Grace Ekak (pictured above with grad Megan Ahgook) learned to read and write. When she read her first letter--a letter from her doctor--she was amazed. "Is this right? Did I read it right?" she asked. The letter said she was cancer-free.
 And hey, people, don't be afraid to talk to me here. I won't bite, or at least it won't hurt if I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment